Sheeptastic Egg

sheep egg

Today I have an egg I did a while back with the intention of gifting it to my LYS owner, but alas, it was not meant to be. It just turned out with too many mistakes. I ended up with some dye leakage underneath the wax for some reason – you can see it in the middle of the photo above. That pattern was supposed to mimic the look of a knitted fabric, but something happened somewhere along the way. Maybe my wax application hadn’t been thick enough (although my grandmother is able to use the thinnest lines I’ve ever seen and they stick through several dye baths), or… well, actually I don’t know. I have absolutely no idea why that could have happened.

Sometimes this art is maddening.

But anyway, it ended up being some pretty good practice for a variety of designs, and a great test of some new ones I’d never used. I’m not 100% pleased with how the faux-knit design worked, and I’m also not crazy about the way the sheep came out – it was one of those motifs that actually looked 1000x better in the wax. But there are some great things about this egg too. Among the things I’m pleased with: the evenness of the wave motif, the sectioning, and the bottom as a whole.

Sheep egg bottom

Hopefully I’ll have some new eggs to share soon and can stop showing off all this old work – working on pysanky has generated some unique problems now that I’m in a non-airconditioned top floor apartment. So here’s hoping I figure out how to combat them so that I don’t have to wait for the weather to cool down… because that’s going to be a while!

Come visit me at!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *